How to Get Rid of Garlic Breath
Garlic is very delicious and it is great for enhancing the taste and flavor of many foods. Plus is nutritious, but it has one awful drawback, it causes bad breath. Having garlic breath can be extremely embarrassing. Garlic contains many elements which promote bacteria growth which is already found inside the mouth and when combined with the strong odor of garlic bad breath is formed.
One sneaky thing about garlic is once it is eaten it becomes hard for a person to detect it on themselves which often leads to them not being aware that they have garlic breath.
Garlic breath is hard to get rid of because it comes from the lungs, not from the mouth as many believe. But there are many ways of how to get rid of garlic breath.
Of course one way is to avoid eating garlic altogether, but for the many people who enjoy eating garlic this is not an option that could ever be seriously considered. Luckily there are many other ways to avoid having garlic breath such as:
- Chewing on a fresh parsley which is a widely known to be an effective remedy for combating bad breath. It works because of the high content of chlorophyll which aids the body of toxins such as odor causing hydrogen sulfide.
- Chewing on fresh mint
- Chewing on fresh lemon peels
- Drinking mint, spearmint, peppermint or green tea
- Drinking plenty of water throughout the day to help flush toxins from the body
- “Scraping” the tongue with a tongue scraper or gently brushing it with a toothbrush to remove odors and bacteria
There are many temporary methods that are often used to get rid of garlic breath such as:
- Brushing your teeth
- Flossing your teeth
- Rinsing your mouth with minty mouthwashes
- Chewing gum especially mint flavored sugarless gum
- Using breath mints
There are many other things that can be done to help such as chewing fresh herbs or brewing them in a tea. The best herbs to use are:
Studies have shown that eating one teaspoon of sugar a day may help to freshen garlic breath. Also eating chocolates may help but they should be eaten in moderation.
A recent study showed that eating yogurt reduces hydrogen sulfide which causes odor in the mouth. It also helps to reduce the bacteria in the mouth which causes odor to form.
Eating crunchy fruits and vegetables such as celery, carrots and apples can also help to combat garlic breath. Plus fruits high in vitamin C such as berries, melons, oranges and other citrus fruits help to fight bacteria and keep it from forming.
Another remedy is drinking alcohol, preferably Vodka; it will kill the bacteria that cause bad breath. Only use this method if you are not going to be driving!
Garlic is delicious and enjoyed by many who feel it adds flavor to their foods but there is no getting around that the consumption of garlic comes with a price. It will cause bad breath. Fortunately there are many proven remedies which are known to get rid of garlic breath.