How to Get Rid of Jock Itch
A fungal infection of the groin and upper thighs is known as a jock itch. Jock itch can be very irritating at times, but it is curable. Fungi called dermatophytes are the mold like fungi that cause Jock itch. They are present on the dead tissues of your skin and survive in moist places of your body. Therefore if your groin area is sweaty (Oops!), and if you do not dry it properly, there is a chance that these fungi will take advantage for this perfect environment to breed and thrive.
Who usually gets Jock Itch?
You do not have to be an athlete to suffer from this problem. Most of the time, athletes get it and thus the name Jock itch. Although it can come to anyone who sweats profusely. Most of the time, it affects boys, but girls can get it too.
There are a lot of combined factors that can cause jock itch. Some of them are lots of sweating while doing any hard work combined with humid weather, tight clothes and sharing of towels. Even people who have conditions such as obesity, diabetes and other immune system diseases have a chance of getting this itch.
How do you know if you have Jock Itch?
Jock itch is usually not very severe compared to other skin infections. The following are the symptoms of Jock itch:
- A circular, red, raised rash with elevated edges
- Itching or burning in groin area, chafing in the thigh regions and also in anal area
- Skin redness in groin area, thigh and anal area
- Peeling, flaking or cracking of skin
How to cure Jock Itch
Self care is the best way to cure and prevent a jock itch. Any regular antifungal creams, powders, and sprays will work most of the time. Sometimes, however, if the problem is not rectified with the above solutions, you might have to consult a doctor who can assess the situation properly. Visiting the doctor at the right time is very vital for the treatment.
However, the best way to prevent jock itch from recurring is to keep the affected area clean and moisture free. Follow these steps when treating jock itch:
- Firstly, wash and dry the affected area with a new and clean towel. Make sure you wipe the other parts of your body with a different towel.
- Then, apply the anti fungal cream as described on the cover.
- Make sure you wear different clothes and change your underwear everyday.
- If there are any other fungal infections you might have, make sure you address them too.
It is very important that you continue with the treatment as indicated in the label of the product as, discontinuing the treatment can make the fungi reappear again. Even if the symptoms given above disappear, continue with the treatment for a little while longer to make sure you are completely cured.
However, if the symptoms last longer than 14 days, consult a doctor to be safe.
Can I Prevent Jock Itch?
- Self hygiene is the best way to prevent a jock itch infection.
- Shower or bathe daily to ensure proper hygiene, especially after water based sports
- Keep the groin area moisture free by drying yourself using a clean towel
- Try not to share towels
Don’t worry if you have Jock itch. This infection is very common. All you need to do is to give proper care and attention to your body and this infection can be cured. Follow the steps mentioned above because they are very easy to treat. Best of luck!